Stop wasteful spending…with an energy audit! The first step in lowering your bills, an energy audit assesses how much energy your home or building consumes and how much is wasted due a lack of air sealing, low insulation levels, exterior wall penetrations, old furnaces, and a host of other ways most people overlook. Our reports identify the most comfort providing, cost efficient upgrades to your home through an easy to understand format (we use the familiar grading system of A, B, C, D). This report shows the most important upgrades needed in order of priority so you’ll know where to spend your budget most effectively. Our team is proficient in the latest building science procedures. An energy audit won’t help though, without implementing the solutions recommended in your report. By doing so, most homeowners realize an average reduction of 25%-30% in their heating and AC bills. Efficiency standards have vastly improved since many of the areas homes were first built, making efficiency upgrades that much more valuable with regard to comfort issues and lowered utility bills. Unlike a new flat panel TV or car, this is one investment that truly does pay for itself!
- What is an Energy Audit?
- Why Continuum Energy Solutions?
- Free Solar Site Analysis
- Home Performance Certificate
*We are also one of the few area contractors with both the licensing (Class A, bonded) and capability to perform the work recommended in our audits. This means a more simplified, easy weatherization process so you can lower your utility bills quickly and efficiently without changing contractors.
Continuum has been providing professional energy audits to building owners since 2006. That’s years of excellence and experience you can count on. We are also part of a select few companies that have met the contractor standards required to be eligible for both the Federal HomeStar program as well as the Virginia Home Performance with Energy Star program.
While the average cost of our energy audits is $400 (depending on the square footage), it is important to also budget for the efficiency upgrades which average around $2500. Please keep in mind, an audit alone will not lower your utility bills. An audit with remediation will. Completing the recommended work brings those monthly utility costs down and dramatically increases the comfort levels of your home. We can fix a warm room in the winter with an quick, easy attic shield, or a constantly cold winter room with some well placed air sealing.
An energy audit, or Building Performance Assessment, helps building owners experience a comfortable home again, make smart decisions about how to conserve their energy, and lower their utility bills. They also increase the health, safety, and durability of a home, and protect the environment by reducing waste and pollution.
Our energy audits ensure all of these improvments by providing the following:
- A detailed conversation with the home owner to assess any health and comfort concerns, and long term goals for the structure.
- Making a visual and physical inspection of the building envelope structure.
- Completing Combustion Safety Testing (inspections of furnaces and water heaters to address their integrity, efficiency, exhaust and drafting)
- Testing for Carbon monoxide leaks (CO Tester) throughout the entire test.
- Gas leak and flame roll-out testing.
- Blower Door Testing (Air Infiltration Test) – the use of a specialized fan to depressurize the whole house to expose air infiltration from the outside and leaks in the conditioned envelope. This test determine the total air leakage of the building in square inches compared to a calculated value based on national safety standards. Basically, it emphasizes the drafts you normally feel in the middle of winter or summer so you can easily feel where your money is leaking out of the building.
- A Duct Blaster Test (optional) – Testing duct systems for air leakage if applicable.
- The use of Thermal Imaging – using an Infrared Camera we can take full and sectional images of your building to highlight temperature differences to expose conditioned air leakage points and thermal barrier deficiencies. This technology allows us to identify poor insulation levels and other defects inside your walls without tearing your walls up. Available on warm and cold days only so that temperature difference observations can be observed, this is just one of the many ways we find areas of loss in the home.
A home energy audit:
- Will increase the comfort of your home.
- Will SAVE YOU MONEY – up to 20%-30% or more on your heating & cooling costs.
- Will help you make a substantial savings on your electricity bills.
- Will improve the air quality of your home.
- Will increase the resale value of your home.
- Will reduce your homes’ impact on the environment.
- Helps the economy and our nation by reducing overseas energy imports.
- Helps U.S. manufacturing – most of the products used are American made.
- Will qualify you for Tax Breaks
We are a full service contractor certified as a “Home Performance With Energy Star” Contractor for Home Air Sealing. Our 20 years of experience in home improvement projects allows us to offer excellent customer service both in the office and the field. Our team of energy auditors combine the best technology with a proven process that allows us to offer the best service at competitive prices.
We will never submit a report that says, “For $5,000, we can fix all of this”. Our reports (as all energy audits should) will itemize, in priority of cost effectiveness, the improvement opportunities our consultants identify with individual pricing for each item.
Energy audits average around $400 and are determined by the square footage of the building being audited.
< 1500 sq ft = $350.
1500-3500 sq ft = $400
(Add $25 for each additional 500 sq ft above 3500 sq ft)
Yes – while we are on site you can opt to receive a free solar site analysis (a value of $150).
Maryland Residents can receive a Home Performance Certificate through the ENERGY STAR Maryland Home Performance program. We are a certified contractor who can provide a professional energy audit, make recommendations, complete the work if desired, and test the home again for performance improvement.
ENERGY STAR is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy that helps businesses and individuals save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices.
For details on what to expect and how to prepare for your audit click here
Serving Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland.
Call or email us today to schedule your Energy Audit!
Serving Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland.